Whatever ambitions you might have had for this year, 2020 sure had other plans. With the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic, we were thrown into unfamiliar worlds of remote working, social isolation, financial challenge and future uncertainty.
Perhaps you already struggled with depression or anxiety before all this happened. Or perhaps you’re dealing with new territory of mental health battles as the situation has unfolded. Whatever situation you might find yourself in, this article is here to help.
Here are the 7 self-supporting ways you can alleviate your anxiety now and in the future:
- Accept that how you feel is not your fault. You could not have planned for these events to unfold, nor could you prepare for their effects. Be generous with your sense of self-acceptance and offer yourself kindness when you stumble or fall. This too shall pass.
- Love yourself like a mother would. Consider yourself a child that needs care, and love yourself accordingly. Eat the foods that will nourish you. Sleep more than you would usually. Nap when you feel agitated. Pay attention to self-care to powerfully ease your anxiety.
- Connect with some support buddies. Get in touch with close friends who you can trust. Offer the idea of being support buddies, where you promise to check in each day and arrange regular times to talk. Knowing you have each other will give you both a boost.
- Use the right apps for support. There are a variety of wellbeing focused apps that can provide support for anxiety or depression amongst other mental health challenges. Give each one a try for at least 2 weeks to see if they help. Keep using the ones that suit you.
- Declutter your social feeds from triggers. Comparison culture drains our confidence and threatens our self-worth. Unfollow the accounts that make you question your value. Disconnect from the groups that spike your emotions. Prioritize your mental health, always.
- Embrace nature therapy. Numerous studies show that walking outdoors can offer a range of healing and self-supportive benefits – all without costing a dime! Explore your neighborhood (safely distanced) or take a hike in a green space. Consider it a pathway to calmer days.
- Hire a professional to help guide you. If you are struggling to cope with overwhelm, invest in your mental wellness by hiring a coach who understands your needs. Doing so could be the best choice you will make for yourself this year.
You deserve to enjoy good mental health and great wellbeing despite any circumstances. We cannot change the global events that are happening around us. But we can empower ourselves by using positive methods such as the ones listed in this articles to overcome each challenge.
Move at your own pace and make change at the speed you feel comfortable with. There’s no rush to the finish line. Taking care of our health, both mental and physical, is a journey rather than a destination. You’ve got this!
To your happiness,